collapse

Author Topic: Abyss (Director's Cut)  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Sludge

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 22, 2024, 06:44:27 PM
Abyss (Director's Cut)
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:10:13 PM »

Go grab him at Mugen History (http://www.mugenhistory.com) (Characters -> Capcom)

Abyss (Director's Cut)

All form's included in this one character (He now can take the form of the orb)

I will still refer to him as Abyss, however from now on he is officially the "director's cut" version. The first release of him was a stripped down version, some of his attacks were different from the original and he was balanced (toned down) to allow 1 character to beat all three form's in a single round without receiving any health bonus's. Now my focus has shifted towards an attempt to make him more true to the original, minus the slow attacking. I have thrown out most of the balance that was in the previous version, corrected every form's attacks and have made him tougher. Obviously any character can be brought to his knees if your using a cheap character, hopefully you will find this version more challenging than my previous version.

Please don't turn this thread into a flame war, there's no point to that. Creating is a hobby for me, nothing more. This character wasn't made to start fight's, it was made for people to enjoy it if they so wish. The physics of the orb's that form1 shoots out are different from the original, they are meant to seek towards the opponent, not home in on them. Unfortunately I wasn't able to allow him to be beta tested but i believe most of the bug's are out but never say never. If anything is found that has a dramatic affect on gameplay then i will fix it.(minus the timing's because a slow moving abyss isn't much fun)

Btw: Please don't post any thing like "congrats on the release", if you want to post a comment such as "great character" or "this character is garbage" you have to at least try the character out first. (those are the rules  ;))

----------------------------------------------

First off i want to say thank you to Eternaga for making that great portrait for Abyss.... He is meant to be a boss character but if you want to feel unbeatable, he is very much playable. The control's are simple enough, each button does a separate attack per form and there are no limit's to how many times a specific attack can be used. To claim a victory you will have to defeat all 3 of his forms in the same round. You can set his AI just like you can set the AI of all my recent characters (adjusting the sparkno in the main cns file, open abyss.cns and you should see some very clear instructions).   The way he is set up now the opponent won't receive any additional health between form's, if he is too tough for you, you have the option to receive some extra health when you defeat a form, go into his def file and look for this:

st1=hard.cns ;opponent receive's no health bonus between forms
;st1=normal.cns ;opponent recieve's 20 percent health bonus between forms
;st1=easy.cns ;opponent recieve's full health between forms

depending on which cns you activate will determine how much health you receive (don't activate more than one at the same time):

hard = no health bonus
normal = 20% health bonus
easy = 100% health bonus

Enjoy!

-----------
Notes:

-The hard,easy,normal setting's that you set in the def file only have to do with how much (if any) health is giving to the opponent between forms. You can set Abyss's AI level by going into abyss.cns and changing the sparkno.

-If you get as far as form2 in a round and lose, the next round you'll have to start all over with form1 again. Currently there are no plans for a mode that would allow you to fight from the form you lost to in the next round.

Info:
------
 Abyss was mostly intended to be a port from his MVC2 counterpart. All his moves for every form are there. He even turn's into the orb during form 3, if you manage to hit the orb you will do damage to the character. As of right now this is as close to a port that i could get him to. I will still refer to him as Abyss, however from now on he is officially the "director's cut" version. The first release of him was a stripped down  version, some of his attacks were differen't from the original and he was balanced (toned down) to allow 1 character to beat all three form's in a single round without receiving any health bonus's. Now my focus has shifted towards an attempt to make him more true to the original. I have thrown out the balance that was in the previous version, corrected every form's attacks and have hopefully made him tougher. Obviously any character can be brought to his knees if your  using a cheap character, hopefully you will find this version more challenging than my previous version.

Credits
-----------------------------------------
 I got the abyss sprites from a sprite pack that was released by thor. I also got some form1 sprites from a sprite back by wuwo off mugenchina. Eternaga made the great portrait! And I made all the sprite for the orb, yeah it isn't an exact replica but it is close enough. I got all the sounds from a sound rip pack that was released by Cloudius & One Winged Angel. Major thanks goes all to all of them, without them this project would  not have been possible. Especially since thor's abyss sprite pack seemed to have fallen off the edge of the earth, luckily cloudius still had it :)

-Abyss portrait by Eternaga
-Abyss sprite's ripped by thor
-Abyss sounds from Cloudius (http://two.fsphost.com/Cloudius/) (Cloudius & One Winged Angel)
-Additional abyss sprites for form1 (http://www.mugenchina.org) (sprite pack by: wuwo)
-MvC2 Hyper BackGround from Nabeshin
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:43:57 PM by Sludge »

Offline KPT25

• The Professional
  • Chief News Reporter
  • Last Login:October 15, 2021, 10:01:22 AM
  • Infinity News Reporter and Journalist
    • My youtube channel
Re: Abyss (Director's Cut)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:17:06 PM »
Looks way more awesome than the first version...i`ll test it out now and maybe tomorrow i`ll give my skills a run for their money if i have the chance too... :thumbsup:
 <_<|google|(on topic as you also made jill  :D)
EDIT:I just tested Abyss out...he`s quite easy to play us...i noticed that it`s quite difficult to hit the sphere ball attack in form 3...maybe i got a bug on it while testing it...i´ll check asap =D>
I also noticed hyper sounds when he uses them,but that`s fixeable with a Playsnd in that move... :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:33:15 PM by KPT25 »

Offline Luis/Dshiznet

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 16, 2009, 04:58:10 PM
  • Aaron-sama
    • My myspace
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 11:28:01 PM »
Love the intro for abys form 1.

everything is like 100% exact from the one in mvc except for some stuff.
like a hyper spark sound  and the low kick hyper(form one) is a little longer

but dude this character owns.

way different from the one you posted at the guild
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:32:14 PM by dshiznetz_is_back »

Offline Kung Fu Man

• MUGEN Veteran
  • Last Login:August 05, 2018, 04:08:28 PM
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 12:22:23 AM »
This is much better...but there are still issues
Form 1:
-Intro looks a little off, sphere not really like a 'sphere' per se...nice to see it though
-Horn throw is akward: spear is blowing up above ground
-Grand Train ends pretty quickly when the move had some real threat to it in in MvC. Here it doesn't seem as long as Juggy's Head Crush even.
-Genesis Beam has funky startup...
-It and Acid Rain end up ending strangely in terms of animation

Form 2 & 3:
-While greatly improved, should they be able to take that much damage? o_O It seems to take a ton to take both of them down, when really something like Photon Cannon would do a significant amount of damage in the original game.
-I haven't got more to report here, I'll need to test more.

It's better though, I'll say that much. Keep at it, I look forward to properly topping you in the future ;P

Offline Sludge

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 12:35:37 AM »
the lack of a hyper sound is accurate towards the original. In his mvc2 appearance he is a very quiet character, I have added a few barks of sound to try and spice thing's up.

KFM what is funky in form 1's genesis beam startup? If you are talking about that blue spear that show's up while he is charging (before the beam comes out), that is accurate. As far as defense wise (attack damage taken) it depends on how the opposing character's attack is programmed, for example wonder woman's super where she rises up above her opponent and then come's down can sometimes take 3/4 of abyss power away, where as other moves show normal damage. Not really something that i can control, unless i was making a complete game and using abyss as the boss. btw: I know the orb's death animation is lacking... but it was all i could come up with, oh well.

Offline Kung Fu Man

• MUGEN Veteran
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 12:44:02 AM »
The startup just doesn't seem smooth, and more abrupt than anything for the beam.

As far as damage, just noticing that beam attacks that should normally do some damage to him seem to only do a very small amount, basically making a long haul fight even longer.

Offline Darkgargos

• Infinity Graphic Designer
  • Last Login:October 10, 2017, 12:10:54 PM
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 07:42:06 AM »
I just love your Abyss Sludge and this one is really something else. He's very well made and I love being able to fight against all three of his forms. His AI is just brutal, you've created one hell of a monster and I thank you for that  :thumbsup:

Offline Draco

• GFX Artist
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:December 26, 2008, 02:11:28 AM
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 01:34:40 PM »
is great Sludge, your abyss is a big change in all rosters being now the final boss.
sadly i already made a video with the old abyss........... ~:>
anyway great update!

Offline Lightblackheart

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 03, 2014, 10:33:27 PM
  • infinity's personal Dimentional Jester
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 02:12:32 PM »
 ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

downloaded, tested played,etc........
now him is the boss for my personal capcom game  ;D

Offline MuηkyMØÜf

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:June 16, 2014, 08:36:08 PM
  • I don't play games, I fight for real!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 02:39:18 PM »
Nice :thumbsup: DL'd

Now I have another boss in my mugen (makig a boss lineup before the games ends instead of just one)

I just got done beating the first release earlier  #:-S what a headache that was. (all 3 forms in 3 rounds)
Im anxious to fight this one but it will have to wait until later.

*How come the screens of the red form arent showing? Shouldnt the image scroll right?
<~Rage
Pr. Luchador~>

Offline Kung Fu Man

• MUGEN Veteran
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 09:31:12 PM »
Btw, it has to be said: faster or no, you made forms 2 and 3 TOO fast and totally nixed their recovery time!  :o As a result they can pretty much do severe damage before the opponent gets much of a word in edgewise

Offline Lightblackheart

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 03, 2014, 10:33:27 PM
  • infinity's personal Dimentional Jester
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 09:36:04 PM »
Btw, it has to be said: faster or no, you made forms 2 and 3 TOO fast and totally nixed their recovery time!  :o As a result they can pretty much do severe damage before the opponent gets much of a word in edgewise

well, a boss must be hard as hell no??  /:O

Offline Sludge

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 11:06:44 PM »

I like fast characters...... I would disagree with you about form 3 though, he was not as slow as your making him out to be, neither is form 2. Then again i always played mvc2 on the turbo setting, I play mugen on turbo 2. I don't have a problem with his speed, you just gotta learn it's AI and that will give you a better chance. One thing i can say is that you can't please everyone.

Offline Kung Fu Man

• MUGEN Veteran
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 11:40:16 PM »
well, a boss must be hard as hell no??  /:O

Difference between hard and broken.

Sludge:
I've looked through their timings on normal speed and know how many frames are skipped when Turbo 2 is applied. Mugen's "Turbo 2" speed though is *not* equivalent.

This really isn't a matter of "having to learn his AI": he can virtually blast you to death from afar with form 2 in yours with far less recovery time that the original had, and it's mainly because you seemed to have just guessed completely on the timings and then tweaked as desired. It's not a matter of pleasing everyone, it's me flat out telling you it's too fast, and to beat him you'd end up having to resort to something unbalanced just to have an advantage.

That sounds right to you?

Offline ♦ßlôödÑinjå♦

• Bloody
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:April 01, 2015, 12:04:14 PM
    • Little Infinity
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 11:43:33 PM »
Thank you for this char sludge.

Come Chat with Us @ IMT_MUGEN_TEAM chat group - The greatest Hangout for all Mugen related Discussions.
(click to show/hide)

I don't Always browse Mugen Forums but when i do i browse Infinity. - Anthony

Offline Sludge

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 01:53:25 AM »
 Yeah, i catch your drift. I never meant to say that mugen turbo2 was the same as mvc turbo. No, i did not completely guess on the timing's, but yes i did tweak them to what i desired. Check the web, there are many complaints that abyss in mvc2 was a pushover, and kind of a let down. I'm not putting your character down but for me your form1 just runs to slow for my tastes (whether the timing's are correct or not). After playing mugen, i went back to mame to play mvc, honestly the action was alot slower now after i have been playing mugen for so long.

If you want longer pauses in between attacks move the AI down a level, the lower the AI level is set at abyss will sit in his standing (or walking) state's longer in between attacks. It's not the same as slowing the timing's down but it does reduce/increase his difficulty. Honestly i can beat him without having to resort to doing unbalanced tactic's. (Anyone remember Mortal Kombat Trilogy? The trick that you could do with sub-zero to score an easy victory vs shao kahn?(d,f,lp...then uppercut...repeat) If you have to resort to something unbalanced then so be it, it's all for fun.

I disagree with you when you say that he's broken.. Just as how I find your form1 to be a bit slow for me, you find my abyss to be too fast. I do listen to everyone's suggestion's, and i listen to your's. I just feel that slowing him down to the speed that you want me to slow him down to would greatly reduce the challenge, and in the end reduce the fun.

Offline aa250

• CrusaderCast Admin
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 13, 2021, 04:20:33 PM
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »
Congratulation on this update and release Sludge grealty appreciat it he perfect. :) :) :)

Offline alex87

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 24, 2021, 05:11:57 PM
    • Skype - alexoso87
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 06:20:23 AM »
OMG!!! Thank u so much :P ~:> ^:)^

Offline Kung Fu Man

• MUGEN Veteran
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 08:00:28 AM »
Sludge, Turbo2 only skipped every 3rd tick. Take a look at what you have on here though, and compare the timings: some attacks are literally way too fast, and while I'm not saying "make it as slow as mine", I am saying you really should consider just slowing it down a *tiny* bit for the latter forms.

The speed at which he lingers between attacks isn't really an issue at all: it's how long it takes him before the attack actually ends after it can't hit anymore that I'm pointing at as a problem.

Offline Fenix Azul

• Stage Creator
  • Last Login:March 01, 2010, 12:36:12 PM
  • Crazy And Epic Stage Creator XD
    • Fenix Mugen
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 12:20:08 PM »
 ^:)^ Can you limit the specials of abyss he can do unlimited specials :S
Fenix Never Die
www.fenixmugen.mi-web.es <- Mi House
www.fenixmugen.mi-web.es/index.html <--Work Hosted On

Offline KPT25

• The Professional
  • Chief News Reporter
  • Last Login:October 15, 2021, 10:01:22 AM
  • Infinity News Reporter and Journalist
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »
^:)^ Can you limit the specials of abyss he can do unlimited specials :S
The real Abyss in MVC2 could perform hyper moves without a need of power bar...so it would be ok to be like that...if not he shouldn´t be an MVC boss

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 02:04:30 AM »
Sludge

where can I get the original balanced version that you made ?

Please let me know .

Thanx !
Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sludge

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 09:44:11 PM »

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 02:54:30 AM »
I am updating my Xmugen roster for this weekend . A bunch of buddies come over & we play some mugen , get some chow , & drink a few down . I haven't updated my roster since August on the Xbox . So I wanted all the new stuff on there . I still have KFM's incomplete 3 part version on the roster . I actually liked the balanced version you made so I wanted him on instead . When my computer hard drive died I lost alot of characters . Your older abyss was one of the casualties .

Thank you . I wasn't sure if you still wanted people to have the first version or not .

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sludge

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 04:04:35 PM »
lol, i'm not like that at all. I actually got that link from the mugen infantry abyss thread, most likely it's because of mugen free for all that the link is still active. That is until captain cowboy find's out that it's still active and reports it to sendspace  :DxDie

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[September 30, 2024, 12:29:35 AM]

Mugen Of Solitude:Spacestation 1.0 Updated Stage By Supaman2525 & OldGamer by Aumio Khan
[September 29, 2024, 09:12:20 AM]

thunderstrike eric masterson by wacky thaxie
[September 26, 2024, 06:09:19 PM]

Classic VS : Balrog by ELECTRO
[September 25, 2024, 11:44:58 PM]

Justice League Seattle Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 23, 2024, 12:14:06 PM]

Ancient Gears Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[September 20, 2024, 11:59:18 AM]

Justice League Metropolis Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 16, 2024, 11:57:49 AM]

Ultimate Mai Shiranui (FF2 & FF3) by nickfurry
[September 15, 2024, 02:27:53 AM]

Justice League Gotham Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 11, 2024, 09:41:42 AM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[September 07, 2024, 03:06:46 AM]

* IMT Calendar

October 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
[1] 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal