collapse

Author Topic: SimCity fails or DRM strikes again  (Read 543 times)

Offline ExeLord

• Smirking mage
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:September 20, 2024, 07:48:57 AM
SimCity fails or DRM strikes again
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:41:10 AM »
New SimCity game was released 5th march in USA(7th in rest of the world)... And it failed.
The reason is simple, it requires constant internet connection to play, as there're many fans of series servers got overloaded making it impossible to play.
Soon after the launch gamers started petition to remove DRM and earned nearly 59 thousands of signs. EA responded that this is not possible, game was planed as MMO with all regions where people are building own cities are placed on EA servers.
Then Maxis showed up and tried to optimize servers and game client. It went pretty much successful, they claim that 92% of issues(compared to what it was on launch) were fixed. Still Maxis saying that not everything is fixed and they hope to gather enough data to fix what's left.
EA is apologizing to everyone who bought this new SimCity for the mess and will give new free game 18 march.

P.S. With that said can anyone explain to me - why do they making this constant checking crap again and again? It proved to be useless, pirates are removing whole DRM thing with multiplayer stuff(now pretty often they make it compatible with tunngle/hamachi so you can play on-line through them) and this constant connection irritates buyers to no end(you know not all people have unlimited traffic or stable connection). This DRM makes pirated games more preferable then official, no client support will help if you have bad connection and it ruins your gaming experience. It's understandable in MMO, but they are placing DRM just in everything now. There was poll on GameFAQs yesterday, it speaks for itself -poll results-.

What consumer society is?

"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:September 03, 2024, 08:44:02 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
Re: SimCity fails or DRM strikes again
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:27:03 AM »
They do it for the same reason every other game company keeps doing bad decisions over and over again, because people pay.

Capcom locks content onto the disc, and people pay.

Diablo III and Sim City screw up their DRM, and people pay.

Dead Space has you paying full price out the game, and then charges you actually money for the in-game weapon leveling system, and people pay.

Alien: Colonel Marines delivers a terrible product not even remotely as good as it's demo a year prior, and people pay.

As long as the general gaming populace continue to support these terrible business practices, they'll keep doing it. The biggest problem is that people have become complacent to just excepting these as "that's how it is" and they'll keep paying, just like that dog that begs at it's master for more while the master keeps kicking it, it'll never bite back.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:Today at 09:17:55 AM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »
They do it for the same reason every other game company keeps doing bad decisions over and over again, because people pay.

Capcom locks content onto the disc, and people pay.

Diablo III and Sim City screw up their DRM, and people pay.

Dead Space has you paying full price out the game, and then charges you actually money for the in-game weapon leveling system, and people pay.

Alien: Colonel Marines delivers a terrible product not even remotely as good as it's demo a year prior, and people pay.

As long as the general gaming populace continue to support these terrible business practices, they'll keep doing it. The biggest problem is that people have become complacent to just excepting these as "that's how it is" and they'll keep paying, just like that dog that begs at it's master for more while the master keeps kicking it, it'll never bite back.
^^(PM)^ ^^(PM)^ ^^(PM)^ ^^(PM)^ ^^(PM)^ ^^(PM)^ That can be said about everything. Thats why music is crap, cause people still by it. Games, music, or what ever as long people buy they'll keep making. When there is no money to be made they'll move on to the next thing.

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »
Come on, we know no one is paying for mp3 files anymore.

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Section Moderator
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:59:38 PM »
Its very rare if i buy a CD like that now when it comes to music...VERY rare...If i do buy it its somethin either THAT good and i respect the artist work that much and im a fan OR its somethin thats hard to find and i happen to come across it for 5 bucks er somethin....but again i say, its very rare i even do that now. i download and rip stuff on the net so much now haha

This the only sim city i will ever like (have ever liked so far)....call me corny but so what lol

Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline ExeLord

• Smirking mage
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:September 20, 2024, 07:48:57 AM
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
It's got worse. Developer of SimCity said that adding offline mode would've require minimal effort from Maxis. There's nothing vital that servers are needed for and developer have no clue why Maxis hides this. Petition got 67 thousands of signs. EA refuses to give money back to angry gamers and bans them on forums where they claiming it.

@Acey: hadn't bought albums in ages... :-"
What consumer society is?

"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:September 03, 2024, 08:44:02 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
It's got worse. Developer of SimCity said that adding offline mode would've require minimal effort from Maxis. There's nothing vital that servers are needed for and developer have no clue why Maxis hides this...

This is what I'm talking about. There's no point for it other that Publishers trying to maintain control AFTER the purchases have been made. Someone explain to me how can anyone legally try to keep control of something that has been sold to someone else?
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Justice League Seattle Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 23, 2024, 12:14:06 PM]

Ancient Gears Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[September 20, 2024, 11:59:18 AM]

Classic VS : Balrog by ELECTRO
[September 17, 2024, 04:48:07 PM]

Justice League Metropolis Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 16, 2024, 11:57:49 AM]

Ultimate Mai Shiranui (FF2 & FF3) by nickfurry
[September 15, 2024, 02:27:53 AM]

thunderstrike eric masterson by Blagoy
[September 12, 2024, 02:41:33 PM]

Justice League Gotham Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 11, 2024, 09:41:42 AM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[September 07, 2024, 03:06:46 AM]

MatreroG's Stages W.I.P. Concepts by MatreroG
[September 06, 2024, 01:27:09 PM]

Justice League Flash Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 03, 2024, 10:30:40 AM]

* IMT Calendar

September 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28