collapse

Author Topic: Brazil and Offensive Video games?  (Read 701 times)

Offline Izanagi

• Legendary
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:July 30, 2010, 09:53:27 AM
  • Brutal Legend
    • Email
Brazil and Offensive Video games?
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:36:27 AM »
Source:http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/brazilian-senator-wants-creators-importers-of-offensive-games-in-brazil-put-behind-bars.html

Copy/Paste:
A Brazilian senator is putting "offensive" videogames on the chopping block through a bill that spells imprisonment for those caught making, importing, or distrubuting such games in Brazil.

The bill, authored by Brazilian Senator Valdir Raupp, has already passed through the Education Commission of the Senate and will now go to vote in the Committee on Constitution and Justice.

Brazilian website UOL reports that Raupp's bill seeks to "curb the manufacture, distribution, importation, distribution, trading and custody, storage, the video games that affect the customs, traditions of the people, their worship, creeds, religions and symbols."

Raupp's bill sets a penalty of one to three years imprisonment for those caught breaking it.

- Wait, so what`s going on over there X.x? Arresting people for video games now?, I want to see what you guys think of this. :/

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:September 02, 2024, 11:37:18 AM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
Re: Brazil and Offensive Video games?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:55:35 AM »
OOOh you know i gotta say somethin on this.  I for one see there are many deeming failure within the society about this.  video gaming is a choice not a requirement and for their country to prohibit such things is beyond wrong. thats more a dictatorship. i may be an american and and i do believe another country should be left to do as they see fit but at least in a humane way and i dont expect all countries to be like here in america. but i cant see where are their government leaders going with these regulations. i mean what games are they allowed to actually have? do they have their own rating system? i mean any game can be offensive an any kind of way depending on the person or persons that find it that way to them. who knows where this might start going, Man there goes my dream trip to brazil. damn and i wanted to see the women!!! lol

Offline eg6gsr

• Contributor
  • Last Login:February 26, 2024, 03:24:12 AM
  • my first love
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:08 AM »
OOOh you know i gotta say somethin on this.  I for one see there are many deeming failure within the society about this.  video gaming is a choice not a requirement and for their country to prohibit such things is beyond wrong. thats more a dictatorship. i may be an american and and i do believe another country should be left to do as they see fit but at least in a humane way and i dont expect all countries to be like here in america. but i cant see where are their government leaders going with these regulations. i mean what games are they allowed to actually have? do they have their own rating system? i mean any game can be offensive an any kind of way depending on the person or persons that find it that way to them. who knows where this might start going, Man there goes my dream trip to brazil. damn and i wanted to see the women!!! lol

That. So I'm guessing they are just going to have to do away with all games just to be safe and any game that is available for online play is just out of the question. What about internet games or the internet period I don't know man seems like another case of people not wanting to parent there children.

my new one

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
 ^^(PM)^
i agree with you totally on that one. Long as it dont spread over here in the states cause i love my gaming and i will go to battle for my xbox 360! lol. i police my kids time on the games and what games i allow them to play. thats why there are ratings on games and as a parent you have to be the judge on what you will allow your child to play. i dont want the government telling me my son/daughter cant play a bugs bunny game cause they tink he might be gay..ish or some crazy crap like that. its my choice not theirs.  thats why i am their parent. i feel sorry for its people over there if all that does happen and the whole internet thing you touched on. they are really limiting their technology and resouces for sure if it goes that way.

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:16:36 AM »
I wanted to reply to this but I'm in jail because I beat up Blanka in SF iv...

:|

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:July 09, 2024, 09:24:19 PM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »
Yeah. This was actually my topic for a recent research paper. I quoted what Brazil and Australia had to say and more... I can put it up later maybe.

Offline Izanagi

• Legendary
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:July 30, 2010, 09:53:27 AM
  • Brutal Legend
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »
Yeah. This was actually my topic for a recent research paper. I quoted what Brazil and Australia had to say and more... I can put it up later maybe.

That`s be sweet, I agree on what lando said, it`s all up to the parents, but unfortunately, I see where the senator goes with this in a way, since there are parents that don`t care, but it seems largely unfair to those who are just looking for a little fun  :|

As for Australia, from what I know, they always get "gimped" versions of most violent games (Left 4 Dead) or just don`t get them at all because of BAN (Manhunt 2), what I don`t think is fair thou, is that these rules and laws are based on Children safety and the such, but what about the adults who come home with loads of stress to unload or are looking to just enjoy a few hours on their console?

Seems to me, laws these days are largely based on Children, but it seems to be out of fear? My opinion, since these kids are the next company owners and such :/

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:43:09 PM »
you got a great point there indeed. these bans are  moreso being based on childrens aspects but the games are being rated for more appropriate adult content ( GTA series) . thats why i am wondering why ban something thats lets say..for adults only. but i can see that as well about the senetor taking matters into his own hands but thats more becomes a dictatorship than people freedom of choices. i still say the parents are supposed to regulate stuff like that than your government officials. you know somehow people are gonna get those games wether its a bill in place or not mthen there will be a pirac war big time. that might even be part of a grand scheme. goverment and officials know how to get stuff started just so they can create drama so they can get money somehow.  heres the run down of what would happen.
bill passes in brazil
people want games bad
piracy starts to grow huge bringin in major money
government and state officials lay and wait
piracy crime is up in millions and millions
the crackdown starts
piracy distributions spots are hit and quickyl dispatched
all money is recovered and merchandise ( games) sent back to companies or sitting in storage waiting for next front to happen to be sold back on the black market

money recovered not givin to the people but instead goes in various politicians hands and corrupt officials and funds
the senetor gets a young girl a boob job
everything recycles all over again.

just what might / will happen...it always does

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 08, 2023, 09:35:27 PM
  • I'm done you know where to find me. Click my sig.
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »
Well I think its BS. Games now a days are not marketed for kids, but adults. But a good large sum of people even now still have it in their heads that games are for children because they grew up with mario/kirby/donkey kong/Crash bandicoot/ insert popular char here.

But its not like what it used to be. Games are primarily targeted for an adult audience. But it stems from parents buying their kids the M games and then not telling them what is real and fantasy, or right from wrong. So the child/children thinks what they are playing is "ok" so they tend to re-enact it.

If Parents now a days spent more time actually teaching their children morals and real from fantasy rather then kicking them outside to go play, it would be totally different.

Parenting used to have standards (at least when I was younger....) now it's basically a choice on rather they feel like getting up today and putting the pants on or staying in bed and sleeping while the children do what they want.

I may be only 19 but damn parents these days  need a huge butt wake up call. Back when I was growing up  morals and respect were hammered into my head. So was the principles and differences between right and wrong, and fantasy from reality.

I watched my first horror movie when I was 3-4ish and played my first FPS when around the same time doom  launched (same year of my first horror flick.) or a year later.

When I turned 5 and even around 4 I started getting the reality and fiction talk.

So the whole way through growing up I was surrounded by horror flicks and games because my parents loved them. I also learned a hell of a lot to go with those entertainment choices. I didn't just get tossed the game and my parents say "here keep yourself occupied."

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 07:56:23 PM »
 ^^(PM)^ same here. when i grew upit was darn pong and then all the home systems started comin out when i was like  or 7 like atari and colleovision and all. my mom bought my games and got me what she thought was ok for those times and now as a parent myself i regulate what i decide is good for my kids to play. they like lil party game and such , no gta!!! no way, too young for all that.  we had morals and rules back then , heck even now my mom enforce rules when i come over to visit! lol . i am 35, 2 kids , own spot and all and still gotta watch out for the belt from my momma. lol.  when did parents let kids have all they say in what they think is good for them and not thir parents?
 boggles my mind sometimes. but i sure nuff wouldnt want the government tellin me i cant have my games. i am an adult. :thumbsup:

Offline eg6gsr

• Contributor
  • Last Login:February 26, 2024, 03:24:12 AM
  • my first love
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 01:31:06 PM »
^^(PM)^ same here. when i grew upit was darn pong and then all the home systems started comin out when i was like  or 7 like atari and colleovision and all. my mom bought my games and got me what she thought was ok for those times and now as a parent myself i regulate what i decide is good for my kids to play. they like lil party game and such , no gta!!! no way, too young for all that.  we had morals and rules back then , heck even now my mom enforce rules when i come over to visit! lol . i am 35, 2 kids , own spot and all and still gotta watch out for the belt from my momma. lolwhen did parents let kids have all they say in what they think is good for them and not thir parents?
 boggles my mind sometimes. but i sure nuff wouldnt want the government tellin me i cant have my games. i am an adult. :thumbsup:

About the same time people started to think that it was ok to tell you how to raise your kids and that spanking them in public became punishable by death(ok maybe not death but jail time). So now all kids have to do is throw a fit in a store and you either drag them out kicking and screaming and have the cops called on you and get called a bad parent or you buy them what they want just to get people to stop looking at you most people choose the latter and that sucks.

my new one

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »
so glad i never had that problem ever with my 2 kids.  oh and yeah you do know kids be callin 911 on the parents if they get a spankin! saw that in the papers awhile ago. i was like WHOA!!!  Well life as we know it always gets more complicated as the years go by and people get even more insane with ideas. All i got to say is...Whats next?

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »
Yea.. I have seen a lot of kids in the past 2 years call the cops on their parents because they got spanked. It makes me wanna puke. Man if I so much as threatened to do anything like that when I was a kid ooh my god my @$$ would be black and blue for an entire month. I would have to put really soft cushions  where ever I sat.

But yea, gaming laws are ridiculous, I blame the parents.

I'll tell you one thing my kids act up(when It gets to that point in my life.) and they require a butt whooping, I guess i'll be going to jail every other week. Worked great on me when I was a kid so that's how I'm gonna do it for my children. not to be an @$$ but its proper discipline. Not here sally take this $50 toy and quit crying ok sweetie?

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »
LMao! ya know kids really be acting a fool in walmart and moms be steady tryin to quiet them by sayin that too.  but this one mom, on black friday, man she was a beast! soon as her son started whining she was like NO. not in here not this time, then he called her a Bch and i swear, the demon came out of her. she just looked at him, gripped him up and push her cart over and dragged his lil a$$ out the store and said 'Christmas is over this year for you buddy" and i swear i heard her out in the foyer woopin his butt , people came in like..OMg call the cops she is spankin him . My face was just like, you didnt see what he said before he got that lil tail womped or you wouldnt been kickin ya kids lil behind too. lol. i was raised if you even talked back or about to.. wack! nuff said. these days, its time out and that dont work.  my daughter is 12, she got her butt popped once and that is all it took when she was 3 years old. never had to do it ever again i tell ya and my son got his when he was 3 to 5 and now he is 9 and is on point and never acts up. even tho they did they stuff at home but never like some of these kids out here be doing stuff.  me, i got hit wit belts and the ever so torture device called a switch. lil tree stick. 1 time is all it took from that thing. lol

i blame the parents too for some the video game law non sense that be going on, they just buy their kids whatever and just to keep them out of their faces. not a good parental choice if ya ask me. then when they do some heinous act of insanity they blaming video games. ridiculous if you dont take the time to pay attention to your kids activities and watch what you let them have.

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »
i was raised if you even talked back or about to.. wack! nuff said.

me, i got hit wit belts.....

Paraphrased a little (right word? sorry I'm sick again :/.)

Yup that was my childhood in a nutshell as well man. If ever thought about talking back the belt was coming and my butt was red in seconds.

Can't believe they were saying to call the cops with that kid. THATS the problem these days. What do people get "horrible" memories of their child hood and getting spanked? If so GOOD, because they are probably respectful and have had a good up bringing. Don't fear that "horrible" childhood embrace it, and then they can pass it down to their kids.

Also with games, I agree m8 parents don't take enough time (well really 5 minutes.) to research the games the child wants. The internet is so vast and knowledgeable just go to the site from the ad (usually gamestop.) and watch the video or 2 they post beneath the game. But the problem is parents remember there childhood games and think that is what is still mainstream today. but its not, mario and friends have taken the back seat while master chief, Marcus phoenix,etc,etc are big mascots and characters for today's games.

But slowly but surely parents will see the true gaming audience and take more precautions. It will probably take another year or 2. But it will be soon.

Offline Worksa8

• Rocket Punch!
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:June 13, 2021, 01:19:25 PM
  • Rocket Punch!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »
Wow...just wow...
I think that's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time...

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

thunderstrike eric masterson by wacky thaxie
[September 26, 2024, 06:09:19 PM]

Classic VS : Balrog by ELECTRO
[September 25, 2024, 11:44:58 PM]

Justice League Seattle Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 23, 2024, 12:14:06 PM]

Ancient Gears Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[September 20, 2024, 11:59:18 AM]

Justice League Metropolis Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 16, 2024, 11:57:49 AM]

Ultimate Mai Shiranui (FF2 & FF3) by nickfurry
[September 15, 2024, 02:27:53 AM]

Justice League Gotham Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 11, 2024, 09:41:42 AM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[September 07, 2024, 03:06:46 AM]

MatreroG's Stages W.I.P. Concepts by MatreroG
[September 06, 2024, 01:27:09 PM]

Justice League Flash Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 03, 2024, 10:30:40 AM]

* IMT Calendar

September 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28