collapse

Author Topic: What happened to the simpsons?  (Read 728 times)

Offline The Anvil

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:September 23, 2015, 08:40:42 AM
    • Email
What happened to the simpsons?
« on: June 07, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »
How is it that the simpsons has gotten just so bad now?

Seasons 1-8 were all based on real life situations with a comedy twist (for the most part). But from season 9 onwards the show has just gotten so terrible, to the extent that even the voice actors have said how bad it is. And i seem to notice how the characters have changed so much, they'v totally ruined the Flander's family by having Homer murder Maude. Episodes about Bart worrying about failing and having to repeat the 4th grade to the simpsons sliding down the hill in a house on a reality TV show.

It just seems that the writers write the episodes around celebtrites now. At least when they were cameod in older episodes it would be handled tastefully, for example Dustin Hoffman as Mr Bergstrom.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Offline Scar

• Dragonslayer
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:July 29, 2016, 10:49:53 AM
  • Cobra Mugen Team
Re: What happened to the simpsons?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
They went the route of South Park.

They base their episodes on current celebrity news..

I feel the same way myself, its been 5 years since I seen the simpsons on fox.

They have no point to the story, the ending suck to each episode and the characters have changed so much its not even the simpsons anymore..

!!Unite, Mobilize, Destroy!!

Offline The Anvil

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »
They went the route of South Park.

They base their episodes on current celebrity news..

I feel the same way myself, its been 5 years since I seen the simpsons on fox.

They have no point to the story, the ending suck to each episode and the characters have changed so much its not even the simpsons anymore..

Exactly, the only difference between simpsons and south park, is simpsons have fallen further, harder and faster. South Park still put out some good episodes per season, all the voices for the characters on the simpsons have changed aswel. And the drawings don't have any charm anymore.

Offline Deceleration

• Initiate
  • Last Login:September 03, 2021, 12:03:13 AM
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »
I agree. Show don't last long in being funny sometimes. And then they change their approach to be different and new then it ends up being for the worse... I mean look at Family Guy........ Ugh!! It sucks SOOOO bad now!!  >:(   *Iceman ThumbsDown!* \-/o

Offline R.I.C.O - Teros

• Stage Creator
  • Last Login:June 27, 2018, 08:24:27 AM
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »
Exactly, the only difference between simpsons and south park, is simpsons have fallen further, harder and faster. South Park still put out some good episodes per season, all the voices for the characters on the simpsons have changed aswel. And the drawings don't have any charm anymore.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I used to be a fan of South Park up until the 10th or so season. The humor has changed to sound like it came from a 10 year old trying to make mature jokes. It lost every touch it used to have.

I find the Simpsons still pretty funny. Not like it was back in the day, but still good.

Also, what show now a days doesn't write around celebrities? Honestly, I found this a pointless topic that's only going to be judged around opinions.

I mean look at Family Guy........ Ugh!! It sucks SOOOO bad now!!

I love Family Guy.  \-/o

My Mugen stages, etc.
The Lair Zone

Offline fatalfreak

• (^o^)
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 20, 2011, 01:20:57 AM
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:41:01 PM »
I mean look at Family Guy........ Ugh!! It sucks SOOOO bad now!!  >:(   *Iceman ThumbsDown!* \-/o

Wow, I thought I was only one thinking Family Guy is getting worse!   @-)

Thanks to Demonkai.  I got this MMPR photo.
I didn't know your name was :D. That's an interesting name.

Offline MaverickZr0

• S-Rank
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:November 25, 2016, 02:18:47 AM
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »
I used to enjoy the Simpsons more than Family Guy. It's actually the other way around now.

Offline The Anvil

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
Like someone said, they changed their approach. IMO, family guy was never good, it was always a cheap imitation of the simpsons and the jokes were never relevant to the plot.
South Park has definatly gotten worse, but some of the most recent episodes have been quite good like 'The Coon'.

I hadn't watched the newer simpsons for about 5 years, or maybe longer, i have seasons 1-8 on DVD, and i love watching them cos nearly every single episode is amazing. The other day i watched part of an episode for the first time (part was all i could bare) and instead of Mr Burns being a frail old man barely being able to crush a paper cup, he can now apparently do backflips and breakdance....  o.O#

It's run it's course now, they'v actually produced far more bad episodes than they have good. And don't even get me started on the movie.

Offline Deceleration

• Initiate
  • Last Login:September 03, 2021, 12:03:13 AM
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »
"Wow, I thought I was only one thinking Family Guy is getting worse!"   

I'm sure there will be others. That OJ simpson episode was the worst thing I've ever seen with my two eyes. But that's neither here nor there...

Post Merge: June 07, 2009, 05:53:39 PM
"Wow, I thought I was only one thinking Family Guy is getting worse!"

I'm sure there will be others. That OJ simpson episode was the worst thing I've ever seen with my two eyes. But that's neither here nor there...

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 06:06:11 PM »
I think theyre hilarious. The episode with Alan Moore, the bullys singing my sharona, ect

I think a lot of people dont always get some of the humor because it's subtle left wing hilarity. To me Family Guy has gone down hill, but I think the Simpsons are great. This past season was hit or miss, but loved the previous two. Groenig is my hero.

(some) of the old stuff is so bubble gum at times I can hardly watch them.

Offline nick09

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 21, 2011, 10:16:38 PM
    • Nick09's creations
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »
Well all I can say is that you try to be funny for about 20 years. Some of the newer episodes do have funny parts but the show is showing it's age.

Offline The Anvil

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 07:34:12 AM »
I think Groening should drop the simpsons and concentrate on Futurama, Futurama is the best one.

Offline KPT25

• The Professional
  • Chief News Reporter
  • Last Login:October 15, 2021, 10:01:22 AM
  • Infinity News Reporter and Journalist
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I used to be a fan of South Park up until the 10th or so season. The humor has changed to sound like it came from a 10 year old trying to make mature jokes. It lost every touch it used to have.

I find the Simpsons still pretty funny. Not like it was back in the day, but still good.

Also, what show now a days doesn't write around celebrities? Honestly, I found this a pointless topic that's only going to be judged around opinions.

I love Family Guy.  \-/o
But after all,isn't South Park focussed on 4 5th graders making mature jokes anyway?
I haven't watched either of those shows for a while(mainly because i don't watch that much TV lately)
Why has nobody mentioned American Dad? It's freaking hilarious to me!

Offline The Anvil

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 10:19:50 AM »
But after all,isn't South Park focussed on 4 5th graders making mature jokes anyway?
I haven't watched either of those shows for a while(mainly because i don't watch that much TV lately)
Why has nobody mentioned American Dad? It's freaking hilarious to me!

TBH, i don't think McFarlane is even capable of making a decent cartoon. American Dad is scraping the bottom of the barrel. When i watch Futurama/Early Simpsons/South Park theres some bits that constantly make me laugh, whether i'm even watching them at the time or not.

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »
Uhg, I thought the recent str8 to dvd Futurama movies were horrible.

The Simpsons really depend on the season writers. You can go back and find bad seasons throughout its course. it was really at it's worst 5-6 years ago when every episode was about Homer being braindead, and how stupid he could be. Last nights rerun about Bart, Ralph, and the bully's getting taken out of school so they didnt lower the scores on the achievment test was as good as any older episode.

The thing I love about McFarlane, and Groenig, and even Parker, and Stone to a degree is it's great left wing humor.

I hope they all run 4-ever

Offline R.I.C.O - Teros

• Stage Creator
  • Last Login:June 27, 2018, 08:24:27 AM
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 12:12:01 PM »

Yeah, but that really doesn't give it an excuse to be as bad as it is. The jokes are just unoriginal, and stupid, in my opinion. Look at for example, the recent Kanye West episode and you'll see what I mean.

TBH, i don't think McFarlane is even capable of making a decent cartoon. American Dad is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Like I said though, it all comes down to personal taste. If you don't think McFarlane can make a decent cartoon, then you're obviously not the target audience. So why bother ranting on about it?

My Mugen stages, etc.
The Lair Zone

Offline b.easy

• Global Moderator
  • Last Login:August 07, 2024, 06:57:22 PM
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »
Yeah, but that really doesn't give it an excuse to be as bad as it is. The jokes are just unoriginal, and stupid, in my opinion. Look at for example, the recent Kanye West episode and you'll see what I mean.

Dude that Kanye West episode was funny as ****. It put him in his place and all the Carlito's Way jokes were pretty funny too.  :D

But yeah a few seasons back South Park got a little too into video game/pop culture stuff.

McFarlane's stuff is funny sometimes but I'm not a fan of the way his stuff looks. Really generic and lame, no real style compared to the construction paper people of South Park and the yellow caricatures of the Simpsons.

Offline fer619

• Angry Bird
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:May 18, 2014, 09:32:23 PM
  • ANGRY BIRDZ GONNA DESTROY DEM PIGZ!
    • fer619's Hideout
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »
I agree that the simpsons have lost their touch, but they still a good laugh with the newer episodes every once in a while. On the other hand, they've been on air for 20 years now, so it's getting harder and harder to keep the show fresh and to come up with cool episode ideas.

South Park is OK too, but i just don't really like Family Guy or American Dad.

I think Groening should drop the simpsons and concentrate on Futurama, Futurama is the best one.

uh...didn't Futurama already end?
(click to show/hide)

Offline MaverickZr0

• S-Rank
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:November 25, 2016, 02:18:47 AM
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
I agree that the simpsons have lost their touch, but they still a good laugh with the newer episodes every once in a while. On the other hand, they've been on air for 20 years now, so it's getting harder and harder to keep the show fresh and to come up with cool episode ideas.

South Park is OK too, but i just don't really like Family Guy or American Dad.

uh...didn't Futurama already end?
I thought they aired a few new episodes on COmedyCentral.

Offline The Anvil

• Email
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 04:12:23 AM »
They did 4 DVD movies, they were all really good aswel. Especially Beast With a Billion Backs. Theres also talks of a new season.

You just don't get gags like the land of chocolate anymore  ;*))

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[September 30, 2024, 12:29:35 AM]

Mugen Of Solitude:Spacestation 1.0 Updated Stage By Supaman2525 & OldGamer by Aumio Khan
[September 29, 2024, 09:12:20 AM]

thunderstrike eric masterson by wacky thaxie
[September 26, 2024, 06:09:19 PM]

Classic VS : Balrog by ELECTRO
[September 25, 2024, 11:44:58 PM]

Justice League Seattle Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 23, 2024, 12:14:06 PM]

Ancient Gears Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[September 20, 2024, 11:59:18 AM]

Justice League Metropolis Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 16, 2024, 11:57:49 AM]

Ultimate Mai Shiranui (FF2 & FF3) by nickfurry
[September 15, 2024, 02:27:53 AM]

Justice League Gotham Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 11, 2024, 09:41:42 AM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[September 07, 2024, 03:06:46 AM]

* IMT Calendar

October 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
[1] 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal