collapse

Author Topic: Just a random thought about mugen characters  (Read 487 times)

Offline Playing Enemy

• Portrait & Screenpack Creator
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:December 26, 2018, 03:59:17 PM
  • THE HARD GOODBYE
    • Royalty7 - The best decision I ever made
    • Email
Just a random thought about mugen characters
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »
I was just thinking, it would be awesome if mugen character creators would make characters who were in MvC 2 (the actual game, not just mvc styled), but not use their sprites at all except for maybe reference. Like make a Venom where he is taller, has huge shoulders and is kind of deformed with a huge lower jaw and big teeth. Like how he usually looks in the comic books. Just a nasty bad a$$ SOB. I'm not complaining about any current characters or anything close to it just in case that's what it sounds like. I'm just saying that would be frickin awesome. I can't make good characters yet, so I'm just trying to plant some ideas for people who can. Anyways, like I said, just a random thought...that should become reality.

"Maybe I am what they say I am.  A maniac...a psycho killer."

Offline UltraRoboninja

• Contributor
  • Last Login:July 13, 2024, 03:03:11 PM
Re: Just a random thought about mugen characters
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:08:47 AM »
That would be pretty cool. It probably won't happen soon though, since I think most people would rather sprite a brand new character than resprite one that already exists.

Although now that I think about it, there IS some of this going on with the Marvel Superheroes 2 project over at Scruffy. I haven't checked for a while but last I heard they were respriting Cyclops and Magneto.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."
-Plato

Offline kratos

• The Legendary Ghost of Sparta!
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:August 14, 2013, 08:17:33 PM
  • In the end, there will be only chaos!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:46:56 AM »
Well there certainly isn't a shortage of ideas for mugen. And I think anyone who creates characters already knows what they want to create. What you're implying is that creators do some original spritework, and that in itself is a lot more work than what many are used to. Which is why we see so many ryu's, ken's, etc. Cause there's no editing their sprites involved. Mugen is actually all about customization and creativity. But few people actually go as far to actually be creative in making their own sprites, which is why truly original characters are rare to see.

I know you said you're not very good at making characters yet, so you're just trying to plant some ideas for those who can. But the fact is, it's highly unlikely that anyone will see your idea and automatically be inspired to make what you said. It just doesn't work like that. When you have the idea, you should make it. And nobody becomes a great creator overnight. We're all still learning.

So my advice to you would be continue practicing, and find someone who will make the character with you if you're not good at spritework. Because until you take a little action yourself, all this will remain as is an idea. Everyone has ideas. Too many people in mugen community just have ideas. Don't get me wrong, ideas can be good. But when too many people have them and don't take the initiative, it's bad for the community cause they rely on the ones who do create to bring their ideas to life.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:52:34 AM by kratos »

Offline Playing Enemy

• Portrait & Screenpack Creator
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:December 26, 2018, 03:59:17 PM
  • THE HARD GOODBYE
    • Royalty7 - The best decision I ever made
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:17:16 AM »
That would be pretty cool. It probably won't happen soon though, since I think most people would rather sprite a brand new character than resprite one that already exists.

Although now that I think about it, there IS some of this going on with the Marvel Superheroes 2 project over at Scruffy. I haven't checked for a while but last I heard they were respriting Cyclops and Magneto.

Dang, I didn't know about that. I'm curious to see what they got going on. Magneto would be a cool one to do. So would Cyclops, but I'd be more interested to see Magneto myself.

Well there certainly isn't a shortage of ideas for mugen. And I think anyone who creates characters already knows what they want to create. What you're implying is that creators do some original spritework, and that in itself is a lot more work than what many are used to. Which is why we see so many ryu's, ken's, etc. Cause there's no editing their sprites involved. Mugen is actually all about customization and creativity. But few people actually go as far to actually be creative in making their own sprites, which is why truly original characters are rare to see.

I know you said you're not very good at making characters yet, so you're just trying to plant some ideas for those who can. But the fact is, it's highly unlikely that anyone will see your idea and automatically be inspired to make what you said. It just doesn't work like that. When you have the idea, you should make it. And nobody becomes a great creator overnight. We're all still learning.

So my advice to you would be continue practicing, and find someone who will make the character with you if you're not good at spritework. Because until you take a little action yourself, all this will remain as is an idea. Everyone has ideas. Too many people in mugen community just have ideas. Don't get me wrong, ideas can be good. But when too many people have them and don't take the initiative, it's bad for the community cause they rely on the ones who do create to bring their ideas to life.

I totally agree with what you're saying. I would love to be able to inspire people with just a few words, but sadly I don't have that affect on people. I was merely just throwing a penny in a well, and making a wish. My true wish though would be to do what you said, and just be able to do this myself and physically share my ideas with everyone. Hopefully soon all these tutorials and random help threads will suddenly start to make sense, and then I'll be able to. If this was the matrix, I'd just download mugen creating to my brain/hard drive and everything would be fine. Someday man...someday.

"Maybe I am what they say I am.  A maniac...a psycho killer."

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

thunderstrike eric masterson by wacky thaxie
[September 26, 2024, 06:09:19 PM]

Classic VS : Balrog by ELECTRO
[September 25, 2024, 11:44:58 PM]

Justice League Seattle Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 23, 2024, 12:14:06 PM]

Ancient Gears Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[September 20, 2024, 11:59:18 AM]

Justice League Metropolis Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 16, 2024, 11:57:49 AM]

Ultimate Mai Shiranui (FF2 & FF3) by nickfurry
[September 15, 2024, 02:27:53 AM]

Justice League Gotham Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 11, 2024, 09:41:42 AM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[September 07, 2024, 03:06:46 AM]

MatreroG's Stages W.I.P. Concepts by MatreroG
[September 06, 2024, 01:27:09 PM]

Justice League Flash Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[September 03, 2024, 10:30:40 AM]

* IMT Calendar

September 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28